Honest review : Ipage hosting review
As the Internet started growing rapidly, many websites started to come up on the world wide web. It became profitable to be on the Internet, to do business on it. Many people started becoming ambitious, planned to start a website of their own. But it was not so easy. Starting and operating and maintaining a website required a lot of knowledge, expertise, resources and hard work. Plus We need a computer and a web server to host/run a website. Gradually, the problems for Individuals in owning a website reduced and vanished. As the number of websites grew, so do the services of a web host. As of today, there are just so many web hosting services providers. Some of them Global, some of them Regional, some of them Local. They provide different types of web hosting services, some or all of the following: Shared, Re-seller, Virtual Dedicated, dedicated, Managed, Co-location, Cloud, Clustered, Grid. Among the many web hosts in existence today, iPage is a prominent one.Lets dive into the Ipage hosting review now.
iPage was founded by Thomas Gorny in 1998, in Boston. initially, for the first 8 years it was a full web services provider, but then in 2009 it was re-launched exclusively as a web hosting services provider. It also registers domains. It was acquired by the Endurance International Group in the year 2011. This group also owns other web hosting services such as BlueHost, HostGator etc. Today, iPage has offices in six worldwide locations, serving over one million websites, between two data centers in the world. On their “Green Web Hosting” page, iPage claims they are run by 100% wind power.
A year ago, I decided to start my own website to support and expand my business. For the web host, after some research, I choose iPage. Now iPage is one of the most popular and used web host in the world. They offer one shared hosting plan, and two WordPress hosting plans. They are, 1. WP-starter, for $3.75/m, 2. WP-essential, for $6.95/m. they also offer 3 VPS hosting plans, viz, 1. Basic, for $24.99/m, 2. Business, for $59.99/m, 3. Optimum, for $99.99/m. iPage also have a solid Dedicated hosting plan starting at $149/m. Obviously I took the one available shared hosting plan.
In the shared hosting plan, which I bought for a period of 2 years, at the rate of $1.99/m; I got Unlimited disk space to store my website content, scalable bandwidth, unlimited domain names, unlimited MySQL databases and phpMyAdmin interfaces. Free domain of value $14.99 for 1 year. They provide the following designing and building tools: iPage website builder, mobile optimized site builder, a WordPress 1-click installer, hundreds of templates and themes, CMS like WordPress, Drupal, Joomla; blogs like PixelPost, b2evolution, WordPress; Photo galleries like Gallery2, Zen Photo; Forums like Gbook, phpBB, SMF; and easy-to-use setup wizards. Then we get the following hosting utilities and settings: Access logs and error logs, bandwidth and disk usage monitor, website backup software, PERL support, MIME types, URL redirect tool, audio and video support, custom error page, secure FTP, File Manager and FTP manager.
To better market your website, iPage provides the following utilities; Access to online marketing guides, $100 Google ad-words credits, Bing search credits of $100 and free Yellowpages.com listing. Even for selling online they provide some good utilities: Free online store, PayPal integration, easy 1-click installer; and some of the most amazing shopping carts.: AgoraCart, OpenCart, OSCommerce, PrestaShop, Zen Cart and Tomato cart. They also give amazing features to send and receive emails.: a customisable email address with your domain, we can check email online from anywhere with WebMail, email forwarding, auto responders, customisable spam filtering, virus checking, POP3/IMAP email accounts. iPage boasts of a world-class technology at their disposal. They have, an enhanced security suite of $100 value, they do 24×7 network monitoring, they provide visitor stats/site traffic reporting, performance load balanced servers, Cisco routers using BGP4 protocols, they also have UPS power backup and generators. Besides all this, if you are still not satisfied, iPage also offers a 30-day money back guarantee.
All of this was really very overwhelming for me. But it is the reality. Thus, it is better if iPage is reviewed in Pros and Cons to simplify.
The Pros of iPage are:
1. the biggest USP of iPage is it is really very Inexpensive web host. Hardly anyone else gives so much features in just $1.99/m price. Furthermore, this pricing is for any duration, from 1 month to 3 years.
2. The many free marketing and selling services we get, just no other host gives that.
3. 1 GB free cloud space.
4. Very good security options with SiteLock security. We get it with all iPage plans. SiteLock scans regularly for malware issues on the site. They also use a firewall to help prevent any potential security leak. Additionally, we can buy Secure Socket Layer (SSL) certificates for $31.99 a year. Very useful if you want to sell products.
5. Third party integration options and applications support.
6. Customer Service. iPage offers a very solid 24×7 phone number support and live chat service, to clear all your doubts and issues quickly. They also have a Ticket system for it. Believe me, in the last 1 year, I must have contacted them about a dozen times, occasionally faking it. But every time they satisfied me as quickly as possible, never for more than a day. Pretty impressive for a cheap web host.
It is normal to expect some Cons in a web host whose pricing is the cheapest. Nothing big about it. Still, I hardly had any serious issues with them.
Cons are as follows:
1. Uptime is average. More precisely, it fluctuates. For eg. before the last month I noticed an average up time of around 99.86%. well below the global average of 99.9%. and last month it was nearly 100%.
2. Page loading time is below than average. Even this issue is not big for me, still I have experienced it sometimes. Though it is very important to have a fast page loading. Hopefully, in future they will decrease the time and increase the speed.
3. The renewal cost is expensive. A big irony is that the initial plan prices are the cheapest in the world, at $1.99. but after your initial plan gets expired, you will have to pay at least $12.95/m for a year or $11.95/m for 2 years. That’s really expensive.
4. Although iPage offers vDeck control panel, which is feature rich; I have put it in the Cons section because I am a big fan of cPanel. It is more user-friendly and up-to-date than the vDeck. Nevertheless, I now have got used to the vDeck anyways.
This concludes our Ipage hosting review, Although, there are these much Cons of iPage, still I haven’t experienced any big problems yet with them. Mostly I am a happy customer. If you are a small businessman, or a blogger, iPage is highly recommended to you. Even for the other big people and organizations. For the fact that it is the most cheapest service available, plus we get so many features in that. If you can ignore the slow page loading times, I will recommend iPage to one and all, especially the beginners.